Typical busy Saturday with just a bit of weekend in it.
Yesterday I turned off most of the Slack channels with my team so that I won’t be bothered there, and I put an auto-responder on my business email saying I won’t be back for a year!!!
Today I did a bunch of errands, but I also got time at the pool. I did a little swimming and spent a bit of time in the sun – it was a hot day here in London. I only spent a tiny bit of time on my math prep, but that’s okay. I went to see my professors about 10 days ago to get a sense of how I need to prepare for my classes, and basically, I don’t. I’m still doing a bit of prep, and I bought the textbook for one of my classes (“How to Prove It” by Velleman), but basically, I’m looking forward to starting on Thursday. Also today, I helped my daughter Verity clean her bird’s cage (gross), took care of my other daughter’s dog (a standard poodle puppy) for a little while, did some laundry, cooked dinner, and best of all, I ate Fruit Loops for breakfast 🙂 I also listened to the No Agenda podcast which is pretty much my favourite source of analysis of current events.
I also created a list of things I want to do during my sabbatical:
- Family Time
- Spend time with each of Melanie, Justice, Haifa, Verity and Ocean on a scheduled basis, one person per day of the week
- Start holding devotionals or firesides
- Help Haifa and Justice get their driver’s licenses
- Help Melanie with her household backlog
- Work on our family tree
- Personal Stuff
- Complete 6 courses in Mathematics at University of Western Ontario: 2 in the fall, 4 in the winter terms
- Lego projects including an architectural project, a Harry Potter project and updates to my workroom
- Coin sorting (mostly pennies) for my coin collection
- Study French – I would like to be able to teach in French by the fall of 2019
- Complete reading “Elliptic Tales”
I won’t get everything in that list done, but it would be nice to make progress on everything!
All-in-all, a quiet start to my sabbatical.